Monday 15 October 2007

To be or Not to Be

It’s so easy to get lost in doing something that isn’t worthwhile and so easy to remain focused doing something that has absolutely no value.
I convince myself that the reason why it's easy is because it requires little or no effort- but that's where I've got it all wrong! I'm just channeling the same energy in another direction.
I find it hard to focus on writing, I have a good story in my head, I begin to type away at it, then the next thing I remember I have this beautiful card game that I haven’t finished playing. The next thing I know I’m spending hours on it, starting and restarting and finally, Hurray! I win.
I look at the time, it’s already very late, I tell myself there’s no way I can make sense out of the story I’ve written , or rather, I tell myself that I should be too tired to think and besides tomorrow is another day, I’ll start early and remain focused.
The next day comes and what happens, I do the same thing all over again.
Who can help me out of this? The truth is I’m the only one who can get me out. This is what is called self control and just like keeping fit, I have to exercise it.
Its not enough to repeat a couple of self help lines. Total application is necessary to make the transformation complete.
I am glad to say that I have made some progress in that direction and I pray for the strength not to relent and give up.
Sometimes we are the obstacles in our path to success and greatness. We can be either one of two things; our greatest stumbling block or our greatest stepping stone.The question is which would you rather be?

No comments: